Location: Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles
Date: 22 January 2014, PM
If you ever find yourself in the sprawling, massive metroplex that is Los Angeles, hire a car and head up to the Griffith Observatory!
- The road that snakes its way up Mount Hollywood to the park/observatory isn’t for the faint of heart!
- Entry is free, but paying to see one of the stunning planetarium shows is highly recommended
- There are spectacular views of the city of Los Angeles and the Hollywood Sign
- It’s worth staying to watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean
- (Despite the haze)
- There are plenty of exhibits inside: a Tesla coil, a huge swinging Foucault Pendulum as you enter, displays of the planets of our solar system, a “real life” periodic table, and, of course, the planetarium shows (complete with live narration)
- (And a gift shop. I got a hat.)
- Enjoy a drink at the cafe and realise just how many movies and television programmes have been filmed here: Terminator (1984), Transformers (2007), Rebel Without A Cause (1955) (There’s a bust of James Dean), La La Land (2016)
- If you enjoy hiking, the park itself boasts several walking routes
- If you have a keen interest in astronomy, you absolutely must visit!
To view full-resolution versions of the photographs, please visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/grhmthmsn/albums/72157688526853862
— Graham (@grhmthmsn)